Government shutdown: Impact on business, healthcare, travel, and more
With the October 1 deadline looming, is a U.S. government shutdown inevitable? And what effect would this have on the economy across various sectors? Yahoo Finance spoke to experts around the industry to determine the potential impact for businesses, air travel, healthcare, and more.
Maya MacGuineas, President of Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, thinks that the government shutdown "is not nearly as dramatic as people expect." MacGuineas notes that the biggest effect will be felt by nature enthusiasts as "national parks may well shut down."
The government shutdown could have a significant impact on the air travel industry. Boyd Group International President Mike Boyd said, "The real issue is long-term. It's the day-to-day regulation that the FAA has over airports, airlines, and also aircraft manufacturers."
Dr. Nahid Bhadelia, Founding Director at Boston University Center for Emerging Infectious Disease, believes that the immediate impact could be felt by programs such as SNAP and WIC. Dr. Bhadelia explained, "If the shutdown continues you're seeing the most vulnerable people at risk."
Dr. Zeke Emanuel, Chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania, broke down the immediate and long-term impact a government shutdown could have on the U.S. healthcare system. Dr. Emanuel said, "That of course is going to impact clinical research. It's going to impact the flu and Covid. It's going to impact the FDA's ability to oversee various parts of their mandate including food safety."
The government shutdown could pose a significant threat to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) disaster relief operations. Former FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate explained, "Of the 5,000 workforce, that could be 90 percent of the folks at home ... not supporting the disaster response teams."
Congressional Budget Office Director Doug Holtz-Eakin explained what a government shutdown means in terms of delayed operations across various sectors. Holtz-Eakin said, "There's just a slew of basic government services ... which will interfere with the conduct of normal economic and personal affairs."
00:00:03 - President of Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget Maya MacGuineas
00:00:26 - Boyd Group International President Mike Boyd
00:00:58 - Founding Director at Boston University Center for Emerging Infectious Disease Dr. Nahid Bhadelia
00:01:16 - Chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania Dr. Zeke Emanuel
00:01:49 - Former FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate
00:02:10 - Congressional Budget Office Director Doug Holtz-Eakin
- 《基本法》第23條：在香港討論立法是否已成公眾禁忌？BBC News 中文45,266 次觀看・2 天前
- 《捉鬼敢死隊：冰封魅來》最新預告片Yahoo Movies HK13,967 次觀看・2 天前
- 華爾街富豪遺孀宣布捐316億創紀錄 醫學院1100學生免學費 學生激動大叫、喜極而泣Yahoo 國際通91,400 次觀看・2 天前
- 賈玲減肥逾百磅自導自演話題新作｜《熱辣滾燙》電影預告Yahoo Movies HK37,071 次觀看・3 天前
- 甯漢豪：撤辣後樓市氣氛向好 政府有地推出市民毋須擔心捱貴樓now.com 影音新聞10,982 次觀看・16 小時前
- 不法分子利用15歲少年販毒 警指卑劣譴責now.com 影音新聞48,531 次觀看・1 天前
- 馮祥記清盤 孫玉菡呼籲受影響員工通過破欠基金處理now.com 影音新聞15,901 次觀看・1 天前
- 麥明詩宣布婚訊後首現身大談求婚經過 自爆短期內公佈婚禮詳情：快靚正Yahoo OMG Videos105,475 次觀看・2 天前
- 撤辣後首個新盤開售 地產代理：樓市交投轉活躍 四天做一個月的生意now.com 影音新聞2,014 次觀看・15 小時前
- 《可憐的東西》製作花絮｜時尚篇Yahoo Movies HK99,665 次觀看・5 天前
- 麥明詩宣布婚訊後首現身大談求婚經過 自爆短期內公佈婚禮詳情：快靚正Yahoo OMG Videos105,400 次觀看・2 天前
- 自助餐優惠｜實測灣仔諾富特世紀酒店海鮮自助餐！限時55折起 任食生蠔／燒扇貝／任飲紅酒 (有片)Yahoo Video HK79,798 次觀看・3 天前
- 炎明熹指談戀愛未係好時機但持開放態度 回應新歌MV突然下架：聲音有少少問題Yahoo OMG Videos94,173 次觀看・4 天前
- 胡‧說樓市｜預算案前瞻–壓測都要調整來救市!?Yahoo財經291,209 次觀看・5 天前
- 【娛樂訪談】梅艷芳出道唔使改名？全靠劉培基Yahoo OMG Videos187,794 次觀看・5 天前